Makwanpur || The District which was named as the Chisapani District

Makwanpur

Makwanpur

Makwanpur District is a part of Bagmati Pradesh. Earlier a part of Narayani Zone. It is one of the seventy-seven districts of Nepal, a landlocked country of South Asia. The district, with Hetauda as its district headquarters, as well as Pradesh, headquarter covers an area of 2,426 km2 (937 sq mi) and had a population of 392,604 in 2001 and 420,477 in 2011.

During Rana regime, the district was named Chisapani District and the headquarter of the district was situated in Chisapanigadhi. The district renamed as Makwanpur on the name of Makwanpurgadhi and the headquarter moved to Hetauda in 1982.

At the time of the 2011 Nepal census, Makwanpur District had a population of 420,477. Of these, 45.3% spoke Tamang, 41.9% Nepali, 4.0% Newari, 3.8% Chepang, 1.3% Magar, 1.0% Bhojpuri, 0.7% Maithili and 0.5% Rai as their first language. 54.0% of the population in the district spoke Nepali as their second language.

The district consists of 10 Municipalities, out of which one is a sub-metropolitan city, one is an urban municipality and eight are rural municipalities. These are as follows:

  1. Hetauda Sub-Metropolitan City
  2. Thaha Municipality
  3. Bhimphedi Rural Municipality
  4. Makawanpurgadhi Rural Municipality
  5. Manahari Rural Municipality
  6. Raksirang Rural Municipality
  7. Bakaiya Rural Municipality
  8. Bagmati Rural Municipality
  9. Kailash Rural Municipality
  10. Indrasarowar Rural Municipality

Hetauda: The Headquarters of Makwanpur

Hetauda is a sub-metropolitan city in the Makwanpur District of Bagmati Pradesh in central Nepal. It is the administrative headquarters of the Makwanpur District and the Capital of Bagmati Pradesh as declared by majority (105 out of 110) Provincial Assembly Members on 12th January 2020. It is one of the largest cities in Nepal. At the time of the 2015 Nepal census, it had a population of 153,875 people.

Hetauda sub-metropolitan city is situated in the confluence of the two prominent national highways viz. Tribhuvan highway and Mahendra highway. It was declared a municipality in 1969 A.D (2026 B.S), but development was sluggish. Momentum increased when the city became headquarters of the Makwanpur district in 1982A.D (2039 B.S). It is regarded as a “Green City” because the city has planted trees on either side of the road.

Hetauda is located at a distance of 76 km from the capital city, Kathmandu, via the fast track, at a distance of 132 km via Daman, Tribhuvan Highway and 224 km via Narayangadh. Another Kanti Lokpath highway will be built within May 2018, and it will take only 2 hours to travel from Hetauda to Kathmandu.

Lying in the central region of the nation, it is properly situated at the centre of the Makwanpur district. It lies in the 27°25′ N latitude and 85°02′ E longitude and is situated at a level of 300-390m above the sea level. The total area of the city is 261 km2 where around 254 km2. 97% is land and the remaining 7 km2 3% consists of water.

Boundary: East: Chhatiwan V.D.C West: Manahari, Haandikhola and Sarikhet V.D.C North: Naamtaar, Bhainse and Makwanpurgadhi V.D.C South: Bara and Parsa District, the city is surrounded by three rivers—the Rapti to the west, the Samari to the north, and the Karra to the south—and is part of important industrial regions. The settlement developed because of its location along the Tribhuvan Highway and was later linked to another major national thoroughfare: the Mahendra Highway, also known as the East-West Highway.

According to 2018 census, Hetauda has the total population of 84,775. It was awarded as the cleanest city of Nepal in the year 2016 and 2017. Apart from the natural environment, there are a number of monuments and historical sites to visit in this city like Makawanpur Gadhi and Pathivara Devi Temple.

The largest industrial estate of Nepal also lies in Hetauda. It is commonly known as Hetauda Industrial District (HID). Factories like Hetauda Cement Factory, Riddi Siddi Cements, Asian Paints, Yeti Paints industries etc. lie here.

You may also like Kathmandu

Read about the Latest News, Reviews, Gadgets, How-to, Lifestyle, Entertainment, Lyrics, etc. on the All Info Nepal website, and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin.