Bhaktapur Durbar Square
Bhaktapur Durbar Square is the royal palace of the old Bhaktapur Kingdom, 1,400 metres (4,600 ft) above sea level. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Bhaktapur Durbar Square is located in the current town of Bhaktapur, also known as Bhadgaon or Khwopa, which lies 13 km east of Kathmandu. While the complex consists of at least four distinct squares (Durbar Square, Taumadhi Square, Dattatreya Square, and Pottery Square), the whole area is informally known as the Bhaktapur Durbar Square and is a highly visited site in the Kathmandu Valley.
The Durbar Square proper houses the 55-window Palace which was constructed by King Jitamitra Malla and was home to royalty until 1769. It is now a national gallery. It is closed by the Golden Gate which leads into Mulchok Court which is home to the Taleju Temple. This temple, like others in the main towns of the Kathmandu Valley, is dedicated to the goddess Taleju Bhawani and includes shrines to both the Taleju Bhawani and Kumari. The entrance to the temple is restricted and the living goddess strictly cannot be photographed.
The historical monument around signifies medieval age culture and tradition of Nepal and this old city is inhabited by indigenous Newari people in a large group. The Durbar square is surrounded by spectacular architecture and also vividly showcases the skills of the Newari artists and craftsmen over several countries. The royal palace was originally situated at Dattaraya square and was only later moved to the Durbar Square location.
- The Palace of Fifty-five Windows
- Vatsala Temple
- Statue of Bhupatindra Malla
- Nyatapola Temple
- Bhairava Nath Temple
- The Golden Gate
- Lion’s Gate
- Mini Pashupati Temple
55 Windows Palace
The Durbar was originally built in 1427 A. D by King Yakshya Malla and embellished in 17th century by King Bhupatindra Malla.
The Golden Gate was built in 1754 A. D. by King Ranajit Malla.
Nayatapola Newari word means a five-tiered temple symbolizing the five basic elements of nature. The Temple was built in pagoda style. The temple was also built in 1702 A. D. by King Bhupatindra Malla.
You may also like: Kalinchowk Bhagwati || Hindu shrine in the Dolakha district